Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lectures and Presentations

Long time no see on the blogosphere. I've been busy during the summer with all the usual stuff, mostly learning and working. I'm glad to say that I've almost finished the Exploring Complexity: An Introduction book during the summer, and I was even able to get some of the mathematics out of the way. I think I was able to model a pretty neat animation on some of the methods demonstrated in the book, and I'll try to post it soon.

I've also been saving up for going skydiving before the summer's over... I've always dreamed of the skies (my first choice in college education was majoring in aeronautics, never quite made it though), so it's only natural that I do something that involves full-contact with the air up there. Living on the student budget means that I have to work some extra jobs for that though. Some a bit more crazier than the others.

And of course, there's always the DIYBio NYC. I've been trying to come up with some decent ideas, but everything I can think of at the moment mostly revolves around the kind of project that would require some sort of dedicated labspace. All I can do at the moment is to prepare for that inevitable day when we'll obtain access to a labspace through independent studies. Some of the things I've talked about the members during a recent meeting regarding the state of the group and the processes that are involved in constructing artificial vesicles were very enlightening, and I intend to do a full-length post about that some time in the near future.

On to the main post...

During today's twitter and identi.ca browsing I happened upon some interesting resources for scientists and potential scientists.

The first one is a collection of links and documents on how to prepare a scientific presentation. I haven't had the time to read through it yet, but I know some of the posts on the list, and if the rest are like the ones I know, they are definitely worth a read, especially for an aspiring scientist like me. It's amazing just how many things are involved in preparing a half-way decent presentation, and how most people are just plain terrible at it. I've sat through my share of lectures/symposiums/conferences and there's nothing more painful than a horrible presentation with irrational powerpoint.

The second resource I want to share with you is osgrid. It's a virtual environment tool like the second life except that it's opensource. It's relatively simple to download the environment and run it off your own servers, though it also means that you 'need' to run it on your own server for the whole thing to work. I'm really interested in finding out how this environment can be used for scientific research. Perhaps virtual laboratories running off university computer clusters? Open educations tool like a virtual university? A method for scientists to interact with their own 3D datasets in clean and intuitive manner? There are plenty of possibilities out there.

... I can also think of a few ways to utilize some of the stuff for the DIYBio community.

No comments:

Post a Comment