Monday, August 31, 2009

Imagine Science Film Festival

Just a quick note before I doze off for tomorrow's work.

NYC, befitting its status as one of the more interesting places to live in around the world, is the host to this amazing event called the Imagine Science Film Festival. Now I'm nuts for all things science, but I especially love this festival in comparison to other science-y things to see and do around the city (with possible exception of DIYBio-NYC).

I personally believe that arts and sciences go hand in hand and that current division between the sciences and the 'humanities' is something of a temporary cultural aberration that we'll all look back and laugh at. And the kind of works I saw at last year's Imagine Science Film Festival events showed me a glimpse of what a future with sciences and humanities intermingled together might look like. It's not so much as the specifics of the individual films but the overarching theme pervading through the atmosphere of the whole festival itself that caught my attention. Perhaps it's the passion of the event organizers rubbing off on others watching the films. Perhaps it was just me realizing something I already had inside me through the mirror of projector screens.

If you're in the NYC area, make sure to check out the webpage for the imagine science films and mark the dates on the calenders (there's a screening benefit program this September 9th). Last year most of the screenings were free and I get a feeling that it will continue to be that way this year as well. If you're not in the NYC area, feel free to donate in return for some cool t-shirts ;) You'll be supporting a worthy cause.

And here's the festival trailer for your viewing pleasure.

ISFF 2009 Trailer from Imagine Science Films on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment